PREPARATION OF SOUTHERN TRANSPORT DEVELOPMENT PROJECT- IMPROVING AND MONITORING LAND ACQUISITION AND RESETTLEMENT PROCESSES
Funding Source and Objective
‘Preparation of Southern Transport Development Project – Improving and Monitoring Land Acquisition and Resettlement Processes’ funded by Asian Development Bank was awarded to Acres International, Canada in association with Infotechs IDEAS (Pvt) Ltd.
Client : External Resources Department
Duration : September 2000 to October 2000
Total Cost : 43,760 US $
All land acquisition for national development projects in Sri Lanka is undertaken in accordance with the Land Acquisition Act as amended by Act No. 8 of 1979. The provisions under the Act include several mandatory steps. The implementation of the Act was carried out by Divisional Secretaries or Special Officers appointed for that purpose as in the case of the STDP.
There are two main constraints that cause considerable delays in taking possession of land, which in turn causes delays in project implementation:
- Various steps are involved in taking possession of land such as timely gazette notifications, inquiries, land surveys, valuations and finding alternative relocation sites.
- Delays in payment of compensation Infotechs IDEAs was involved in preparing the revised RIP, reviewing the existing land acquisition process and recommending strategies for improvement, and monitoring the implementation of the resettlement program.
- Long-term corridor development plan to guide and regulate the future growth of the Southern Highway Corridor
- Appropriate strategies to implement the long-term objectives of the Corridor Development Plan to facilitate the implementation of priority projects,
- Preparation of prototype project proposals for interchange area development,
- Facilitated the implementation of priority projects.