PROGRAM MANAGEMENT DESIGN AND SUPERVISION CONSULTANTS (PMDSC) FOR MAHAWELI WATER SECURITY INVESTMENT PROGRAM (MWSIP)
Funding Source and Objective
The MWSIP is funded by the Asian Development Bank (ADB) under a multi-tranche financing facility. The cost of MWSIP is estimated at US$ 675 million. Finance assistance from the ADB and co-financiers is US$ 567 million and the Government of Sri Lanka provides USD 108 million. The investment program is being implemented from 2015 to 2024.
The MWSIP will assist the Government of Sri Lanka to complete outstanding water conveyance investments under the Mahaweli Development Program (MDP). Completion of MDP is a key priority of the government and will maximize the productivity of Mahaweli River Basin water resources by transferring available water to the northern dry zone areas of Sri Lanka for irrigation, drinking, and commercial purposes.
The Program Management Design and Supervision Consultants (PMDSC) will assist the Program Management Unit (PMU) by providing consultancy services for Engineering Designs, Procurement, contract management and construction supervision throughout the program.
- Tractebel Engineering GmbH in consortium with GeoConsult ZT GmbH (Germany),
- NIRAS (Denmark)
National Sub Consultants:
- Infotechs IDEAS (Pvt) Limited
Contract Value : LKR 2,135,265,725
Contract Period: November 2015 to December 2023
- Provide Program Management Design and Supervision Consultancy for the components of MWSIP Phase -1 which includes three sub-components – Implementation of North Western Province Canal Project (NWP), Implementation of Upper Elahara Canal Project (UEC), Raising of Minipe Anicut and Rehabilitation of Minipe Left Bank.
- Provide assistance to Program Management Unit (PMU) for overall investment program coordination and management through the relevant agencies at national and provincial levels.
- Reviewing and finalizing the detailed engineering designs and preparation of contract documents
- Providing consultancy for procurement works, contract management, construction supervision quality control, commissioning and operation
- Providing assistance for reviewing topographical surveys, geological investigations work carried out by contractors.
To improve water, use efficiency and productivity for irrigated agriculture as well as providing bulk drinking water supplies from the water-rich wet zone to the water-scarce dry zone and encourage economic growth in the northern dry zone of Sri Lanka. This will accelerate local and also national economic growth.